Facebook Away!

I have decided to temporarily abandon my Facebook account. FREEDOM! O, the chains of social obligation, be stricken from me!

Naturally, the first impetus I had, being an addict of online media, was to post my decision. However, posting on Facebook that one is going to terminate one's account or simply not be Facebook-able for a while is like throwing chum to the drama sharks. If I just exeunt stage left, it is not likely anyone will really notice much. Those who do and who matter most to me, have my email.

My desire and drive has always been to write and write and think and write and post and express myself in a relatively safe environment. I have no interest in, or stomach for, being a voyeur. So, I've fulfilled my need to purge myself and allowed myself to use more than 400 or so characters. Mama Mia! You mean I will be able to express a complex thought? One that is longer than a text message and, hopefully, clearer in both tone and context? I'll finally be able to use big words! I can be downright illustrative! Hooray!

So, today I have removed the shackles...the pitiful crutch...that sated my writing addiction but did not elevate it. I am NOT a sound byte, and the afghan of life is disrespected and poorly described by the overly terse. I am not large, I am not strong, I am not athletic, and I am not even all that together...but I have this. And to do the one thing I CAN do poorly is anathema to everything I was taught...and it's also stale and soul shriveling.

The world is my car, and I shall turn up the radio and sing my lyrics at the top of my lungs.

Comments

  1. It's funny, sometimes, the addictive nature of things like Facebook. I too, have found myself with the stark realization that I have left myself plugged in for way too long. The drama and the bullshit can be evaded for the most part, but there are always those puzzle pieces that we can't remove from our "friends" who make it a cesspool instead of a spring.

    Good job on taking a break...it'll be good for your sanity. =) And when you want your password back, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the support and assistance, lady! Yeah, the need to unplug is certainly high on the list. With my compulsive nature, the constant "feed" and mail call is simply about to make me seek refuge in the nearest underwater cave. I'd like to go back to relating with the people behind the links, avatars, and polls...in person, no less.

    As for my sanity, I'll try anything, but I'm not holding my breath. The mermaid gills are going to spontaneously evolve pretty soon, anyway!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts